NRN Alert: Manhattan Beach, CA Potential Total Sales Ban
On Oct. 1, the Manhattan Beach City Council voted to direct staff to do the following:
- Return with an urgency ordinance that prohibits the sale of all vaping products and flavored tobacco to take effect immediately and to return with an ordinance that:
- Prohibits the sale of all vaping products and flavored tobacco,
- Prohibits the sale of all tobacco products, and
- Provides a hardship exemption application process for existing tobacco retailers.
Note: Manhattan Beach adopted a flavor ban, excluding menthol, in 2015 with enforcement commencing on April 1, 2016.
Next Regular City Council Meeting Details:
--date / November 5
--time / 6:00 PM
--place / City Council Chambers, 1400 Highland Ave, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
Imposing a prohibition on the sale of all vaping products and all flavored tobacco products, or even worse, a total tobacco products sales ban will do additional harm to Manhattan Beach tobacco retailers while creating a favorable environment for illicit activity. It is important for tobacco retailers, wholesalers and other industry stakeholders to attend the council meeting and speak out against the total sales ban.
In addition, contact the mayor and city council members to express your concerns. They need to hear from you before an ordinance is drafted.
NRN Alert: Philadelphia Ordinance Restricting Sale of Electronic Smoking Devices
On October 17, the Philadelphia City Council in Pennsylvania introduced Bill No. 190804. As drafted, the bill will do the following:
- restrict the sale of electronic smoking devices with a characterizing flavor to adults-only establishments (includes menthol)
- define an adults-only establishment as an establishment that holds an active Adults-Only ESD Establishment License
- restrict the sale of Electronic Smoking Devices with Nicotine Salts to an Adults-Only Establishment (restriction does not apply to Electronic Smoking Devices that contain 20mg/ml or less of nicotine)
- except at an Adults-Only Establishment, no person shall sell or offer for sale…, any Electronic Smoking Device, unless such Device or category of Devices has been approved by the Department of Health…The Department, by regulation, shall provide an expeditious approval process.
It is anticipated that Bill No. 190804 will be assigned to a committee in the near term and a public hearing date will be set. We will continue to monitor for a hearing date.
Retailers and stakeholders should consider contacting members of the Philadelphia City Council to express concerns regarding Bill No. 190804.
NRN Alert: Pitkin County, CO Flavor Ban
The Pitkin County Board of County Commissioners is expected to consider a new tobacco ordinance that is likely to mirror the one passed earlier this year in Aspen. Aspen’s ordinance bans the sale of all flavored tobacco products (including menthol).
According to a county staff person, the next opportunity for the commissioners to consider the issue is the meeting scheduled for Nov. 6. Retailers and stakeholders should consider contacting the commissioners before a draft ordinance is finalized in order to have input in the process. In addition, plan to attend the Nov. 6 meeting to voice your opinion on a county ban on flavored tobacco products.
BOCC Meeting Details:
--date / Wednesday, November 6
--time / 12:00 PM
--place / County Administration Building, 530 East Main Street, Aspen CO 81611
Contact the Pitkin County Board of Commissioners express your concerns regarding the potential sales ban on flavored tobacco products.
Please contact Tim McKinney with NATO at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for further information related to the NRN Alerts.